Tuesday 8 June 2010

Reading matter in the toilet

What book do you have in the toilet?

My left leg is in an extension brace, which means that I can’t bend it. To sit down, I need a chair with arms to take my weight, and it mustn’t be too low, else my ‘good’ leg will have to bend too much with all my weight on it. When I’m on the chair, I need a support under the left leg because the brace won’t let it bend down to the floor.

So, not that you want to read this, but here’s how I go for a Tom Tit. First of all, I get the toilet seat raiser. This fits on top of the pan and is a couple of inches higher than the usual seat. Fix securely with adjusting screws. Then arrange the frame around the toilet. This gives me an armchair toilet, so that I can lower and raise myself with my arms. Now get the support to take my left foot a couple of inches up from the floor. OK, all set, lower away bending the good right leg and sliding the left heel on its support as get down onto the toilet.

When done, dissemble all the bits and return toilet to normal. Bloody glad I’m not female and need to sit down for a pee.

The book? Fowlers Dictionary of Phrase and Fable is exactly the right thickness, and wrapped in a plastic bag, it slides easily over the floor under my left foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment