Wednesday 11 June 2014

It really doesn't matter to me if you believe in God.

It just so happens that I don't. I do not believe that there is a god, or a 'supreme presence' in any form. I am not superstitious, I do not believe in spirits, ghosts, life after death, or a the entities of 'good' or 'evil'.

I do believe that everyone has the right to make choices, and if you have a faith in any of the above, it isn't my job or right to try an make you change your mind. Why do so many people spend so much time and energy trying to impose their thinking on others?

I'm sort of OK with doorstep evangelists, because I can appreciate that if you have this 'great idea' in your head, then it is quite natural to want to share it. Just so long as they accept that some of us just don't want to join their club.

Just as I have the right to tell you what I think, you have the right to tell me your thoughts. Neither of us has to listen to the other, and we are free to listen, to understand and then make choices. This is true not only about thoughts on faith, but also about how much weight we place on choices presented by television commercials for stuff we don't need. It is OK to be exposed to the idea; we don't have to listen, and if we do, we have the choice about buying into the idea.

I really am baffled as to the thinking that drives followers of any faith to think that it is right to kill those who oppose their views. To wage war in the name of your faith to spread your faith, because your religious leaders tell you to do so, and so that you will have a reward in 'the after life' is all a sort of mass madness. It is the result of blind belief without thought, brought about by generations of brainwashing.

What was Pope Urban thinking when he launched The Crusades?  

No comments:

Post a Comment